Friday, August 26, 2011

The First Ride

After years of waiting, I can finally say that I have ridden a motorcycle on the road.  I got a bit fed up with waiting for my jacket, which turned out to be on back-order, so I went back to the dealership and bought a different one.  Now all I'm waiting for are some riding boots, but my hiking boots will do until those come in next week.

Today's ride took place as the sun was setting and the temperature was dropping to a brisk 103 degrees.  But even in the leather jacket and full helmet, I wasn't hot at all thanks to their great ventilation.  It's so rare to see riders wearing any protective gear other than a helmet here, probably due to the temperature.  I'm glad that I'll be able to cope with the heat while still maximizing my own protection.

One thing that surprised me a bit was how little power the bike actually has.  Sure, it can out-accelerate cars and trucks, but not with ease.  I really have to open the throttle nearly fully in the lower gears to experience any notable acceleration.  Perhaps this is why riders tend to outgrow 250 cc bikes so quickly.  Still, I had no problem maintaining 45 mph and have no intention of really going that much faster as a part of my daily commute.  Tomorrow I plan on taking a trip from my home to the university and back so I can get a feel for the busier roads and to find the motorcycle parking spots on campus.

Oh, and here's a picture my wife took of me before the ride.  She helped make sure I was safe by following me in the car today.

No comments: