Tuesday, August 23, 2011

And Now for Something Completely Different

The last few weeks have been pretty hectic, which has caused me to ignore my blog for longer than I had hoped.  But now I find myself a bit stranded for a few hours at school with little to do, so I figured that I'd make a post about what I've been up to.

Last week I moved to a different (and much hotter) state for graduate school.  The move went well as my wife and I had no troubles with the movers and our things arrived on time and in perfect condition.  We still have plenty of unpacking to do, though.  We both like our new place, but we've had a couple of problems during our first week here.  First, we learned just how annoying monopolies can be.  This city has only a single gas company and that company refused to turn on our gas unless we were present.  But of course they don't schedule any specific time slot to show up, just some time between 7am and 5pm.  We missed them the first time they came out and were without hot water for a few days.  Luckily, the weather is hot enough here that even a "cold" shower is warm enough to be tolerable.  Second, our air conditioner broke two nights ago.  But thanks to our good property management company, we were provided a temporary mobile A/C unit and my wife reports that the central air was repaired this morning.

My wife and I also managed to find jobs faster than expected.  She got a music teaching gig at a large music studio in town and I am in the middle of the process of getting a research assistantship.  I met with a potential adviser yesterday and was very pleased with her research and personality.  I still need to check out a couple more potential advisers and may enter a lab rotation for this semester to help ensure that I end up with a group that best fits me.

This is the first week of classes and I'm very pleased with the quality of the few lectures I've had so far.  It seems that this university places a higher emphasis on teaching than my undergrad.  My wife is starting classes tomorrow and will be taking a math placement exam today that has been stressing her out for quite some time.  I'm sure she'll do fine and besides, she can always tell the professor that she lives with an engineer who can provide plenty of tutoring.

Finally, the most important update of all is that I'm picking up my new motorcycle today: a Honda CBR250R.  After having a motorcycle license for over 4 years, I'm finally getting a bike.  I'm planning on using this for my daily commute, which is about 30 minutes to and from the university.  Since the weather is above 60 degrees year-round, I shouldn't have to resort to using my car very often.  Plus parking is about 1/6 the price for a motorcycle and this thing gets nearly 80 MPG!  If I'm not riding during most of my free time, I should be able to post regularly again. 

No comments: