Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sink or Swim

I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post.  I'm going to stop saying I'm going to update regularly.  If it wasn't obvious, I've been neglecting this blog because I've spent the first half of this semester in that sink or swim phase of grad school. 

Near the beginning of the semester, I had a conversation with another first-year grad student about the workload of grad school.  He asked when we were going to get a break from the homework.  I told him that we probably won't get a break until after comps in two years.  When he asked how we are supposed to have any life outside of school, I jokingly replied that we won't, but that it's okay because we will get used to having no life.  Obviously even grad students have lives outside of school, but for a few weeks, I started to question if there was more truth to that joke than I had imagined.

Fortunately, I can report that I'm getting used to the grad student workload and can squeeze in time to have fun and relax.  The biggest difference between grad school and undergrad that I've noticed is that in grad school, nearly every activity needs to be scheduled in advance.  Even if I were to work nearly continuous on homework and research, it will never be caught up to the point that I can take a day off without having anything that I could be working on.  This was a major mental hurdle I had to overcome.  The never-ending work stressed me out more than I expected.  But I learned that by scheduling in time to walk away from work, I am able to handle stress much better.  My wife and I went hiking for the first time here last weekend and I would like to make that a regular Saturday activity.  The hike made me feel much better and, because I scheduled time for it, I didn't feel like I was falling behind schedule.  I can already tell that my time management skills have improved, which is great since I'll never be able to succeed as a professor unless I can manage my time very effectively.

I know it's still pretty early for me to claim that I've gotten used to grad school work, but I can gladly say that at least I'm keeping my head above water!

No comments: