Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Case for Cursive

Cursive is a dying art in most elementary school classrooms around the nation.  The Common Core curriculum used by 46 states no longer requires schools to teach cursive.  Instead, typing has taken up the time previously allotted for cursive practice, which generally occurred in the third, fourth, and fifth grades.  The idea behind the change is that typing has become the primary medium for writing and class time could be better spent teaching how to type properly.  The issue seems to have as many supporters as opponents.  I consider myself to be a strong opponent of the decision.

Where should I begin?  How about I start with the fact that it is a major disservice to students to not provide them with the ability to read the handwriting of so many adults in the world today?  I don't think I've ever had a high school teacher or professor who didn't write in cursive, unless writing on the board.  And even then, many wrote in cursive.  How can students expect to read signatures and generate their own?  A simple Google search for "SAT cursive" brings up dozens of message board posts from students stressed out about the simple SAT pledge which is meant to be reproduced in cursive by the student.  The gradual shortening of time spent on cursive education has a noticeable impact.  Specifically, only 15 percent of students wrote the paragraph in cursive.  I was taught cursive for three years in elementary school and, even though I didn't write in cursive again until college, I easily remembered how because I had so much practice with it from long ago. 

There are also benefits to using cursive.  Knowing cursive helps to generate a signature that is less prone to forgery, yet less enigmatic than a signature might be from someone who doesn't know cursive but doesn't want to sign his or her name in print.  Being cursive-literate means that one can read all (legible) forms of handwriting.  Just imagine how embarrassing it would be to be to come in to the office after lunch to find a cursive handwritten note on your keyboard from your boss.  You look at the note from no less than six different angles, including upside down, and yet you cannot make any sense of the mysterious message.  You then turn to your coworker or, even worse, your boss, and ask for a translation.  I'm sure most of you can visualize the inevitable facepalm from him or her.  Oh, and knowing cursive also means that you can read the occasional birthday card from your grandmother or the Constitution of the United States.

I won't argue that cursive is the faster form of writing.  According to the first article above, no studies have shown conclusively that cursive is faster than print.  So far, it seems that people tend to write fastest in whichever style they use most often.  But I believe cursive should still be taught as an alternative to print.  For some people like myself, cursive is much faster than print, and I actually print more than I write in cursive.  For sure, typing is the fastest form of writing.  But are typing classes really necessary in elementary school?  I took a typing class in sixth grade and none of us really practiced typing correctly.  We just enjoyed a chance to be on a computer.  I didn't really learn to type properly until eighth grade.  But is typing so complicated that it deserves to take up all the time previously spent on cursive?  I know plenty of people my age who don't type from the home row position, yet type faster than me with the same or fewer number of errors.  People will get faster and more accurate at typing just based on all the time they spend at the keyboard.  Very few people, however, will teach themselves cursive.  At the very least, allow students to learn cursive in an art class or elective.  Just provide them with some option to learn cursive in school!

I'd like to hear your comments on the importance of cursive education.  Whether you support or oppose the teaching of cursive in the classroom, or don't care either way, I'm interesting in hearing why you feel the way you do.

1 comment:

Kimbrûlée said...

I agree, in part, but I don't think it's a detriment to elementary education to not teach cursive. I think it is possible to allocate it to another field, like art, or to another level in school, like high school or college level. Perhaps the drive to remove cursive is fueled by the increasing importance placed standardized tests. This I don't agree with, but if the removal of cursive reflects the changing nature of our culture and it's relation to technology, then I don't see why the curriculum shouldn't change in response to that.